Position: Staff Accountant
Location: Sacramento – St. HOPE Public Schools
Job Code: 265
About St. HOPE Public Schools
St. HOPE Public Schools (SHPS) opened its doors in 2003 with a clear vision: to create one of the finest urban pre-kindergarten through 12th grade public school systems in America. Our students attend longer school days, are held to high expectations for academics and behavior and focus on preparing to obtain a college degree.
Accounting Jobs in Sacramento CA
Under general direction of an assigned supervisor the Staff Accountant – Sacramento, CA will be responsible for assisting members of the Finance and Accounting team across multiple functional areas. The Staff Accountant is assigned an emphasis in certain functions but can substitute for other functions when other staff may be absent from time to time. These functions include accounts receivable, payroll, purchasing, budget, cash management, tax reporting, grant reporting, benefits reporting and account reconciliation. The Staff Accountant based in Sacramento is responsible for collecting and filing necessary source documentation and approvals for transaction entry and processing into sub-ledgers and general ledger. The Staff Accountant will demonstrate sound fundamentals in accounting and a strong work ethic. Candidates must hold the belief that all children can succeed academically and socially and this belief must drive him or her to be relentless in his or her work.
The Staff Accountant reports to Chief Business Officer.
Job Responsibilities will include:
· Receives, organizes, and maintains extremely diligent files on invoices, contracts, expense reports, credit card statements, and other relevant accounts payable paperwork.
· Reviews invoices and enters journal entries into accounting software for expenses.
· Prepares accounts payable reports.
· Prepares and mails checks for accounts payable.
· Prepares accounts receivable invoices.
· Collects cash receipts for input into general ledger, and deposits into St. HOPE Sacramento bank accounts.
· Assists in the design and delivery of outside reports to private/public grant sources.
· Prepares 1099 forms.
· Executes tasks according to Finance and Accounting team policies and procedures.
· Performs general business activities for the Finance and Accounting team as directed.
· Receives and audits timesheets for entry and processing into payroll and accounting software.
· Reviews setup of edits to personnel into the payroll system from Human Resources Department.
· Processes payroll each pay period, and prepares direct deposit file and paychecks for approval and distribution.
· Prepares and submits payments of payroll related taxes and benefits.
· Prepares W-2s, W-3, Form 941, Form DE-6 and other tax forms as needed to taxing authorities in Sacramento.
· Enters payment of payroll related taxes and benefits into the general ledger.
We are seeking a results-driven leader committed to the St. HOPE Public Schools mission, high expectations and his or her own professional growth.
Training Education and Experience:
Associates degree in accounting and two years of related experience. Two years of related experience may be used to substitute for one year of education.
Knowledge and Abilities:
· Methods and practices of financial record keeping.
· General accounting principles and procedures
· Organization operations, policies, procedures and objectives.
· Statewide standardized account structure (SACS)
· Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
· Operation of a computer, related software and standard office equipment
· Oral and written communication skills.
· Perform the overall responsibility of the position
· Analyze and interpret fiscal records and documents
· Prepare accurate and complete financial records and reports.
· Perform computational tasks with speed and accuracy
· Work independently to meet schedules and timelines.
Sit for extended periods time; reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, and bend at the waist to retrieve and store files from cabinets and shelves; lift light objects; requires sufficient visual acuity to recognize letters and numbers, to read printed materials; sufficient hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity to write and operate a personal computer keyboard; ability to hear and understand in person and on the telephone; sufficient body movement and mobility to drive an automobile.
St. HOPE Public Schools offer a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full time position.
All candidates for this position must submit the following two pieces of information. Please note you must submit both documents or your application will not be considered.
2. Thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity